Here are the new driving/traffic rules in Spain. If you are hiring a car for your holidays, we highly recommend you get to know some of the new rules here. It could save you a lot of money in fines.
Just last year, many speed limits were reduced—some roads from 120kph to 80kph, 70kph to 50kph and 50kph to 30kph. The speed cameras work – trust us!
You can find all the rules straight from DGT to the official website.
These have been translated direct from DGT website
New Driving/Traffic Rules in Spain
- On conventional roads, car and motorcycle drivers will no longer be able to exceed the maximum speed allowed to overtake other vehicles by 20 km/h. A measure that seeks to minimize the risk caused by overtaking and thus reduce the accident rate on conventional roads.
- Not using the seat belt, child restraint systems and other protection elements or not doing it properly will make you lose 4 points.
- If you drive while holding mobile phone devices, you can lose 6 points.
- Throwing objects that can cause fires or accidents on the road or in its vicinity entails the loss of 6 points.
- To overtake a bicycle or a moped, you must do so by completely occupying the adjacent lane on roads with 2 or more lanes in each direction. On single lane roads, you will have to maintain the minimum lateral separation of 1.5 meters or you will lose 6 points. It is a way to protect this vulnerable group.
- Pedestrians now have right of way over vehicles in crosswalks, on sidewalks and in pedestrian zones. Remember that we are all pedestrians at some point.
More New Driving/Traffic Rules in Spain
- It is mandatory to respect the traffic restrictions that respond to the active protocols in the event of pollution episodes and Low Emission Zones (ZBE).
- It is prohibited to stop or park your vehicle in the bike lane or on cycle paths. The bicycle is one more means of transport, more and more numerous, and we have to learn to live with it and learn to protect this most vulnerable group.
- Carrying radar jammers or speedometers in vehicles is now prohibited, whether they are connected or not. They are systems that interfere with the proper functioning of traffic surveillance systems, so they are not allowed. Doing so means the loss of 3 points.
- Regardless of the infractions that have been committed, the term to recover the initial balance of points is 2 years if no infractions are committed that lead to the loss of points.
- It is no longer necessary to physically carry your driving license. Thanks to the miDGT App, you will be able to prove that you have authorization to drive.
- When you take a test to obtain or recover your driving license or other administrative procedures for driving, you cannot use intercom devices that are not legally authorized. It is also considered a very serious infraction to collaborate or assist another person for this purpose. In case of doing so, the applicant will not be able to take the tests to obtain or recover the permit within a period of six months.
Feel free to share this with your friends and family travelling to Spain this year. Don´t forget to join our Travel Forum on Facebook here. You may also find this page, driving from Malaga Airport useful.